Monday 12 November 2012

Maladu



This is my favourite sweet. I remember in my school days I used to visit one of my friend’s house in particular on Diwali eve to have this sweet because maladu was always there in her mom’s Diwali list. I found that this is very easy to make recently and tried it for this Diwali. I am sure henceforth maladu will always be there in my Diwali sweets list.

This sweet is made from fried gram (odachakadalai/pottukadalai) and can be made in minutes.


Ingredients:
fried gram dal (odachakadalai/pottukadalai) – 2 cups
Sugar – 1.5 cups
Ghee – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – 2 grams
Cashewnuts – 5 grams

Method:
  • Grind the fried gram dal along with the sugar into a nice powder in a mixer.
  • Transfer the powder into a bowl.
  • In a pan, heat a little ghee, fry the cashewnuts until brown and add this to the bowl.
  • Heat the remaining ghee and add this to the bowl.
  • Mix the mixture well with a spoon. Make sure the ghee has spread evenly to the complete mixture.
  • Now make small balls of this mixture. Make the balls when the mixture is hot/warm otherwise the powder won’t stick together.
  • If the mixture goes cold, heat it once again and then make into balls.





Delicious maladu is ready. Serve after about an hour or so, because the ladus will harden a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment