Thursday 29 November 2012

Podavalanga vellari koottu curry



I was checking some old recipes in my blog and realized that exactly a month ago I published my first post.  I should say good going for a month. Felt happy. I would like to thank all the readers and blogger friends who have given me valuable feedback.



Kootu curry is a traditional dish in the southern side. It is again a dish made out of a combination of coconut, lentils (gram dal or green gram dal), and vegetables which have more of water content in them like ashgourd, snakegourd, bottlegourd etc… I tried this recipe with snakegourd and Kani vellari. Kani vellari is another form of cucumber.


 Ingredients:
Kani vellari – 400 grams
Podavalanga – 150 grams
Gram dal – 50 grams
Cumin seeds – 5 grams
Coconut – 50 grams
Red chillies – 2 nos
Turmeric powder and Salt to taste

To temper:
Oil – 10 grams
Mustard – 5 grams
Curry leaves – few

Method:
  • Soak the gram dal for about 30 minutes.
  • Chop the Kani vellari and Podavalanga.
  • In a pressure cooker, add the gram dal and the chopped vegetables. Add salt and turmeric powder and pressure cook for about 2 whistles.
  • Meanwhile coarsely grind the coconut, cumin seeds and red chillies.
  • Add the grinded coconut paste to the boiled vegetables and gram dal and allow it to boil. Add water accordingly.
  • In a kadai, pour oil and add mustard. When the mustard splutters add the curry leaves. Pour this into the koottu curry.



Koottu curry can be served as a side dish for rasam rice or it can be had with chapathi also.

No comments:

Post a Comment