Friday 24 January 2014

Pudhina Rice

Pudhina is a very easy to grow plant at our homes. I started in one pot and now they are growing in 3 pots. Every week I get a bunch of Pudhina leaves and now I am hunting for recipes with Pudhina. Here is my first one.

Actually in my childhood days I used to Hate Pudhina - never liked the smell of it. Might be also because my mom bever used pudhina in her cooking. I started using it once I started making pulav/biriyani etc... Now I am a fan of Pudhina.



Ingredients:
Pudina or Mint Leaves – 1 small bunches
Basmathi Rice/Raw Rice– 1 cups (125 grams)
Onions – 2 Sliced (100 grams)
Green Chillies – 2 to 3 (10 grams)
Grated Fresh Coconut – 3 Tblsps (10 grams)
Jeera – 1 tsp
Cashewnuts – a few
Oil – 2 tsps
Ghee – 2 tsps
10.Salt to Taste


Method:

  • Wash and drain basmathi rice/raw rice. Keep aside. 
  • Wash and clean the mint leaves. 
  • Now, grind the mint leaves, grated coconut, and green chillies into a paste without adding any water. 
  • Heat a pressure cooker, add the oil and ghee, and then add the jeera and cashews. 
  • Once cashews turn golden, add the sliced onions and fry till translucent. 
  • Next add the ground pudina paste and sauté for 2 mins. Next add the rice, sauté for another minute. Now add 2 cups water, salt to taste and mix well. Cook till 1 whistle.


Sweet smelling Pudina rice is ready to be served with a raita/papad of your choice and some nice fried vegetables.







No comments:

Post a Comment