Tuesday 26 July 2016

Vella Aval | Aval Nanachadhu | Beaten rice with jaggery

No, the title doesn't indicate white - beaten rice. Vellam also means jaggery. So the title is jaggery + beaten rice. In kerala people also call it as aval nanachadhu - literally meaning beaten rice soaked. This is a quick preparation made in minutes and ideally used for poojas / neivedhyams.

Though there are a lot of diabetics in my family, almost everyone of them don't like sweets. Atleast I have not seen them craving for sweets. So I have never thought of making sweets in the "diabetic-friendly" way. When I took up this topic for this BM it was a real challenge for me. Somehow I came up with 2 recipes. But for the third recipe I really had to rack my brains. That is when H asked for some snacks last week; one day evening saying he is very hungry. And I immediately prepared this dish. After he finished eating I realized that this would be an ideal "diabetic-friendly" sweet!! But I didn't take any snaps. So after 2 days I again prepared this recipe for evening snacks. 

To make it diabetic friendly, I did a small change. Decreased the amount of jaggery and added little dates to make the recipe more interesting.


Ingredients:

Aval / beaten rice - 1 cup
Coconut (grated) - 3 tbsp
Jaggery (grated) - 2 tbsp
Dates (seedless) - 4 nos
Salt - a pinch
Cashewnuts - few



Method:


  • Wash/soak the beaten rice/aval preferably in mineral water. Wash it for about 20-30 seconds and strain the aval. We do not want the aval to be soaked and soft. Rather it should be crunchy.
  • Chop the dates into small pieces.
  • Mix the aval, dates, jaggery and coconut. 
  • Also add a pinch of salt. Mix well and garnish with some cashewnuts.


Instant snack is ready!!


Notes:


  • The salt enhances the taste of the jaggery. So add only a pinch.
  • We can garnish with other nuts like ground nuts, badam etc..









Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#66






6 comments:

  1. That's a lovely dessert with poha , quick and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this poha dessert. We usually prepare it during krishna jayanthi.. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a simple and delicious dessert with poha. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and quick to make sweet,looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, this simple vella aval goes directly to my most favourite dishes, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a simple and delicious sweet!!

    ReplyDelete