Mamidikaya pappu is a famous dish of Andhra Pradesh. I came across this dish for the first time in one of my fellow marathoners blog. But then after, I found this recipe repeating itself in many of the food blogs and I felt compelled to prepare this mango dal. I had prepared this recipe over the summer when mangoes were available in abundance but somehow did not get a chance to post it. So i reserved this recipe for this mega marathon when I decided on one of the ingredients as raw mango.
It is a very easy recipe and it turned out very well. The dal is cooked with raw mangoes and mild spices. Try out this mango dal in the following summer season and i am sure you will love this mamidikaya pappu . Though this dish is generally paired with rice, it also goes well with rotis also.
Raw mango - 1/2 cup
Toor dal - 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chili - 2
Green chili - 2 - 3
Garlic - 2 pods
Ginger - a small piece
Asafoetida - 2 pinches
Onion - 1
Curry leaves - few
Ghee - 1 tblsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin | jeera - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - few
- Peel and cut the mango into cubes and cook it in little water.
- Wash and and cook the dal with enough water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Chop the onions finely, slit the green chili and finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- In a pan add ghee and add mustard seeds, cumin, slit green chilies and red chilies.
- Once the mustard splutters, Add the finely chopped garlic and ginger and the asafoetida
- Cook for 2 minutes and add the finely chopped onions. Fry till the onions are translucent.
- Now add the dal and the cooked mango pieces. Add water as per the required consistency. Generally mango dal is made thick. I too made it thick. So I did not add any water.
- Allow this to boil for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Mango dal is ready!! Enjoy with rice or rotis.
- You can also cook the dal along with the spices and mango pieces in cooker. Since I Tried it for the first time I tried everything on stove top.
- Add green chili according to the sourness of the mango.
- I garnished the dal with fried onions along with coriander leaves to enhance the taste.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68