Friday 31 January 2014

Mullu Murukku | Butter Murukku | Chakli

Mullu murukku is what I call this snack.... This is my favourite among murukkus. But from the blogging world I got to know that it is also called as Butter Murukku or Chakli. I have always tasted this murukku from marriages (Iyer mariiages). As part of marriages we get kai murukku , mullu murukku and bhoondi laddu and I used to lay my hands on mullu murukku. 

I tried making this murukku 2-3 times but failed miserable because I was not able to keep the murukku in the shape. It always used to break. Finally I found out that the secret was to slightly dry roast the powders. Now over to the recipe



Ingredients:

Rice Flour - 2 cups (250 grams)
Gram Flour (Besan) - 4 tablespoons (50 grams)
Bengal gram powder - 2 tablespoons (25 grams)
Butter - 4 tablespoons (50 grams)
Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon (10 grams)
Asafoetida powder - 1 teaspoon (4 grams)
Salt - to taste
Water - 1 glass 
Oil - for deep frying



Method:

  • Grind little roasted Bengal gram in a mixer to form a smooth powder. In a pan dry roast the besan  and the gram flour so as to remove the raw smell. 
  • Sieve all the powders (rice, besan and roasted bengal gram) 2-3 times to combine them well.
  • In a bowl take the sieved powder. Add asafoetida powder, salt, butter and cumin seeds.  Mix it well.
  • Slowly add water and combine everything together to form a soft and firm dough.
  • Leave it aside for about 30 minutes.
  • Take the murukku press. Add the mould. I used the mould with one star in the middle. 
  • Then add the dough inside the press. I took some plastic sheets, greased them with oil and made the shape of the murukku in the plastic sheets and slowly dropped them in oil.
  • The other way is grease the laddle with oil, make the shape of the murukku in the laddle and slowly drop them in oil.
  • Deep fry them over medium flame and fry them on both sides till they turn golden brown.  Drain excess oil using a paper towel.
  • Allow it to cool and then store them in an airtight container.




Wonderful tea time snack is ready!!!! Be sure to include this in your next set of Diwali recipes.


6 comments: