Saturday 11 April 2015

Baked gulab jamuns | Dry gulab jamuns

Yippee!!! successfully reached the 10th recipe and the end of second week in this baking marathon. Gulab jamuns are my favorite dessert. My mom always used to make it with the ready made mix. I also used to make it that way. This is the first time I tried making my own mix. 

I saw the baked version of gulab jamuns in Varada's blog. My favourite dessert - that too guilt free - How can I resist this? So when I made a list of items for this baking marathon this baked version of gulab jamuns was the first to be added. But I took some time to make this since I didn't get rose essence. I wanted to make the gulab jamuns really gulabi.... Gulab is the hindi word for rose.


I am posting this as a dried gulab jamun recipe since we all loved it this way. That is; the sugar syrup didn't reach the insides of the jamun. The outer cover was very sugary and insides was spongy.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dry milk powder
a pinch baking powder
1/4 cup milk

For the syrup
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp rose essence
1 tsp cardamom powder


Method:

Combine the sugar and water for the syrup in a pan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat all the way and simmer. Add the rose essence and cardamom powder at the end.


Combine all the other ingredients to form a dough. The dough should be very soft. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Make small round balls from this dough. I was able to make around 30 balls.
Place the prepared jamoon on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg celsius for 6-7 minutes. remove and turn the jamuns.
Bake again for about 5 minutes. the jamuns should have a brown color now. 
The size of the baked jamoon should be considerably larger than the size you started with.

Cool the jamuns for about 10-15 minutes then add them to the sugar syrup and oil the sugar syrup.
Switch off the stove. After about an hour drain the jamuns and serve.

Delicious gulab jamuns are ready!!!












16 comments:

  1. A guilt free sweet definitely, makes a prefect dessert after a heavy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious jamuns, one of my favorite bakes from varada's, marked to try!! Looks yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious jamuns.... Bookmarking this yummy sweet..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for trying them out. Glad you all liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also bookmarked this recipe when Varada posted it. Yet to try it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bet they were delicious. I tried them before when Priya posted it and loved the guilt-free version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've bookmarked Varada's recipe goo. Will have to try this baked gulab jamuns some time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On my book marks, I remember this recipe and want to try... You have made s big batch , looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome. I have a lot to try from Varada's kitchen too great

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too made it from Varadas blog and it tasted so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so nicely done!..love this and am waiting to bake it too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a healthy way of serving this dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even I have it bookmarked it from Varada's site. Yours looks so soft and yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soft and guilt free gulab jamuns,wish to have some.

    ReplyDelete