Saturday 14 February 2015

Pink Velvet Cake

Happy Valentines Day!!!

I was supposed to be travelling today so hadn't planned anything special. But my travel got cancelled. So sitting at home I was thinking what can I do without much preparation. And the recipe in Krithi's kitchen caught my attention. This is a very easy recipe. I took just 10 minutes for the preparation and 5 minutes for the cooking and we both loved it. The cake was so soft, velvetty and vanished in seconds.




And after a long time I was able to take some fabulous pictures. So this post has more of pictures. Ok fabulous according to me. Readers can suggest how they actually look like. Over to the recipe. I made very few alterations to the original recipe like I added cardamom and cinnamon powder.




Ingredients:

Maida - 6 tbsp
Powdered sugar - 4 tbsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
salt - a pinch
cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Beetroot juice - 2 tbsp (check notes)
Butter - 1 tbsp
Curd - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1 tbsp
Chocolate chips - 1 tbsp



Method:

  • Sieve the dry ingredients maida, powdered sugar, baking powder, cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, salt into a bowl. 
  • In another bowl, mix the curd, milk, beet juice and butter. 
  • Add the sieved dry ingredients and mix well to a thick paste. 
  • Sprinkle the chocolate chips and mix a little. 
  • I split the batter into 2 microwave safe cups. The cups 1/4th was filled with batter.
  • Microwave for 2 minutes. If the batter is still sticky microwave for an additional 20 seconds. 
  • The batter would now raise to 3/4th of the cup.
  • Allow a minute or two of standing time. Serve warm


Notes:

  • The cake should be cooked in microwave mode, not convection mode.
  • This recipe can be easily doubled. Mix in individual microwave oven proof cups.
  • Beetroot juice renders just the deep red color and you wouldn't be able to taste it at all. Although if you are skeptical about beetroot juice, add a few drops of red coloring and add 1 more tbsp of milk/water.
  • I prepared beetroot juice the following way. Took 10 grams of beetroot. Cut into pieces. Add half a glass of water and microwave it for 2 minutes. Beetroot juice ready.



Enjoy this valentine with this spongy velvetty cake.

3 comments:

  1. They sound delicious. Microwave cakes are my favorite for their simplicity and quick baking time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy
    please link this to my event
    http://remyasean.blogspot.in/2015/01/first-blog-anniversary-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete